Travelling Australia
Wayne & Pam BENTLEY

Sunday 19th November 2006 to Tuesday 21st November 2006

Sunday 19th November 2006

Views across the Barossa Valley
Views across the Barossa Vally

In the main street of Angaston
In the main street of Angaston

Determined that we were not going to spend all day out and about today, and knowing that most wineries didn't open until 10:a.m., we set ourselves a target of around that time to head out from the park.

We said farewell to Kevin and Helen, a Western Australian couple that we enjoyed drinks with last night just before that time and we managed to be heading up toward Nuriootpa by about 10:15a.m.

Our first winery to call on was be The Willows Vineyard but when we arrived at the gateway, we found it didn't open until 10:30a.m. and we were a little early.

To fill in time we drove a little further out of Nuriootpa to the Wolf Blass winery, but on arrival found there was a bicycle race being hosted and conducted from their visitors centre so we decided to leave them to it.

Pammy ploughing rocks in Angaston
Pammy ploughing rocks in Angaston

By this time The Willows Vineyard would have been open so we returned there and drove down the fairly long driveway passed the main house (which we were told was once a hospital) and on to the small,l but charming, tasting cellar.

Our visit to this winery was the result of some very good advice form our good friend Eddie who we consider to be an expert on where to find good wines, and he was right once again.

We were the only people there at that time and we were greeted by a friendly lady who looked after us very well. When we mentioned Eddie had suggested this winery to us, she exclaimed that he was a good customer of theirs and she had just recently dispatched an order of their wines to him. This made us think we didn't need to buy any, we could just visit Eddie and Jean when we get home.

However after a tasting of a couple of their whites and another couple of reds, they tasted so good we had to buy some for ourselves. So with a big bend in the credit card and half a dozen good reds (at $23 per bottle) in a box, we managed to get out of the cellar and on our way once more.

From here we made our way down to Angaston where we parked in the main street and took a walk around the shopping area. (Fortunately there we no Settler Bear shops in this town).Along the way we called in to a Cheese makers shop and sampled some soft cheeses, both goat and cow products and after a while, purchased a very nice camembea made from the cows milk from the Barossa Valley. The next shop we called in to was an IGA store where a little meat and a few other small items were purchased for tonights dinner.

Bottoms up in Schilds Estate - Lyndoch
Bottoms up in Schilds Estate - Lyndoch

Our first call in Lyndoch was to Schilds Estate cellar door where another couple of whites were sampled, (or more like 'Thrown down very quickly') along with a couple of reds that were very elegantly tasted. (That's my story anyway!) With Pammy really liking the Fronignac, she ended up with a couple bottles as there was a saving of $4 off each bottle when purchasing two bottles. With the money saved on the riesling, we purchased four bottles of Shiraz as well as this was only $35 per bottle. Nothing like making savings on wine purchases and those saving must be used very constructively.

Interestingly enough, the shiraz purchased was harvested from the top of the hill and was far superior to another tasted that came from the same grape vines in the same paddock and the same year, but the $20 bottle shiraz was from the bottom of the hill and did not produce the same body and flavours. Obviously the best wine came from drier vines and maybe a little different soil as well, but a huge difference in taste and flavour.

Feeling pleased with our purchases from Schilds Estate, we decided to make one more call and that was to the Yaldara Estate winery which was just out of Lyndoch, so off we went and pulled up in the car park outside the very elegant building that looks like it has been there for centuries, however we do know it was really constructed around 1960.

We have been to this winery previously but do like the facade and gardens, and Pammy likes the wine as well. She fronted the bar and tasted some more white wines and yes, she did find one that she liked, a late picked Traminer Riesling with a price tag of $25 for a 500ml bottle. She figured she could use some of the savings made on the purchase of the two bottles from Schilds to pay for this one....

There were also a couple of good full bodied shiraz tasted and it was a little difficult to decide which one to take, so one bottle at $35 and another G4 Farms Shiraz at $45 was also added to the purchase. Well we have to agree with the print out on the bottom of the receipt issued when it says: 'Life's too short to drink bad wines' and although that is an old saying, it really does ring true when you are in the beautiful Barossa Valley.

Before leaving the Yaldara Estate complex Pammy found her way into an Opal Shop that had a great display of opals and other souvenirs. The 'Other One' just wasn't fast enough to keep her out, but when she saw his tears as she was looking at all these opals, she did have some pity on him and just made a purchase or two of the items that were much closer to his budget capabilities.

Been there- Done that at Yaldara Estate - Lyndoch
Been there- Done that at Yaldara Estate

Then it was into another cellar next door that sold cheeses and other items such as books, sauces, spreads and other very tasty bits. Pammy was right into this and after tasting the content of a number of dipping bowls on small bits of bread supplied, the look on her face was enough to tell that the credit card was about to be burnt off once again. We eventually walked out with some sauce, verjuice, and a tomato and chili pickle that they call 'prickle'.

With all this wine on board, it was time to return to the caravan, which we did, arriving back there at about and then took the rest of the afternoon pretty easy. Tomorrow we intend to have a very easy day, with a visit to Peter Lehmans winery, Linckes Butcher shop and Bakery in Nuriootpa and maybe a walk down the street of Tanunda... As long as there are no Settler Bears in any of the shops along the way.

Monday 20th November 2006


The Peter Lehman Cellers in Tanunda
The Peter Lehman Cellers in Tanunda

As this was the last day of our trip where we can have a little bit of a sleep in, we did just that this morning, in fact it was almost 8:a.m. before we emerged from the caravan. Having said that, it is daylight saving time and it really still felt like 'Him'...

However it was fairly warm, in fact a little humid with some cloud high in the sky early, clearing as the day progressed. This day had promise of being very pleasant, although the air conditioner could make it even better.

Not long after, it was clearly noticed that all the caravans around ours packed up and were leaving the park before 10:a.m. Not sure why anyone would want to leave here, think of all the wine they are leaving behind... Maybe 'He' has B.O. but if that was the case we could be sure Pammy would soon tell 'Him'.

Inside the Peter Lehman cellars
Inside the Peter Lehman cellars
Pammy is at it again - Frontignac Please
Pammy is at it again - Frontignac Please

With the speed of a tortoise,we rushed around and prepared ourselves for our days activities and eventually drove out of the caravan park around 9:45a.m. and headed into Tanunda where our first call was 'Barossa Gifts', well Pammy made the first call there and she was so fast getting in there he came well behind, puffing and panting, without a hope of keeping up. The sad look on her face told him the story when he did eventually make it, there were not any Settler Bears in there......

After the initial shock, Pammy recovered very quickly as there were lots of other souvenirs and all sorts of wonderful things on the shelves so she didn't walk out of that shop empty handed, although he walked out with an almost empty wallet.

We then strolled up the street a little further and checked out the Visitors Centre, but we must have just about everything available because Pammy couldn't find anything she wanted in there... Surely that must just about be the most unique experience for her!

Next we went back to the Patrol and made our way out to the Peter Lehman Cellars where we had a duty to perform. This entailed tasting a few wines first, then the purchase of a bottle of Frontignac, two bottles of 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon that will require another 5 years to reach it's ultimate drinking age, and the requested two bottles of GSM, previously known as 'Seven Surveys GSM'. However Pammy spied a book she had been looking for around the vineyards, it was called 'Wine Dogs - The Dogs of Australasian Wineries'... At $34.95 she said it was a steal, but we paid for it anyway.

During the process of the mandatory tasting and paying for our purchases, we were looked after by a very lovely young lady and we were chatting away throughout our time there, well Pammy did most of the chatting but that possibly goes without saying doesn't it!

With our business completed at Peter Lehman's Cellars, we headed back out and made our way up to Nuriootpa where we parked in a side street and walked up the main street and back, along the way calling in on any shop that even 'might' have had souvenirs inside. Finally Pammy's nose lead us as far as Lincke Bakery where she rushed in and wanted to buy most of the items on display, however sanity (sort of) prevailed and we just bought a lot of it, including cornish pasties and apricot slices.

On the way back down the street we stopped in at the Lincke Butcher shop where we renewed acquaintance with a young fellow in there who originates from Western Australia and that we met on our last trip. He told us all about a motorcycle accident that he had been involved in and lost a couple of toes from. During this story we also purchased some of the best Garlic Metwurst found anywhere, and as it was to travel home with us, he vacuum packed it to ensure it will travel well and keep for a long time. We call in here every time we pass this way now and thoroughly recommend this butcher shop and metwurst to anyone coming too, or passing through the Barossa Valley. We have to thank our mate Eddie for advice on this one, he knew what he was talking about.

Pammys favourite spot in Nuriootpa
Pammys favourite spot in Nuriootpa - Lincke Bakery

With all this produce we returned to the Patrol and then made our way to the local supermarket where the two things we needed once again turned into a full basket of food worth over seventy dollars. This time we stocked up on frozen goods that we are able to carry over the border into Western Australia, as we will have to discard any fresh fruit, vegetables and honey that we have left when we get to Bordertown, near Eucla.

It was then time to return to Tanunda and the caravan which we arrived at around 1:10p.m. and packed all our purchases away safely for the journey from Tanunda to Kalamunda over the next four days. After lunch, arrangements were made for us to make an early start in the morning and then the feet were put up for a while, the last time this will happen in the afternoon on this trip. All accessories, such as the bbq, chairs , table etc that reside outside will be stowed away after dinner tonight and will not be used again between here and home.

Tuesday 21st November 2006

It was 4:20a.m. Daylight Saving Time (3:20a.m. standard time) and he was sleeping soundly (trust me!) when he heard sound... Are you awake???? ... ARE YOU AWAKE ????? .... (He thinks he may get away with laying quietly) ... ARE YOU AWAKE ????? !!!! Well he does value his ribs and they feel better when they are not bruised, so he provided the answer Pammy was waiting for.... Then: "as we are both awake, we may as well get an early start" was the suggestion! so there started our day long before some people even go to bed.

We had completed hitching up the caravan and were driving out of the caravan park an hour later, 5:20a.m. and on our way before the sun had considered brightening the morning for us. The first part of the drive was as far as Gawler in very still air, then we turned north on Port Wakefield Highway. We hadn't gone far when the wind came down on us and continued to strengthen until we found the Patrol working very hard to maintain a speed of around eighty kilometres per hour. This extremely strong wind continued to buffett us as we made our way through Two Wells, Lower Light, Dublin, Port Wakefield, Lochiel and Warnertown before pulling in to the Coles Shell Service Station in Port Augusta to replenish a rather battered diesel fuel capacity after only 318 kilometres.

After about half an hour later at 9:30a.m. and with full fuel tanks once more we drove through Port Augusta and turned west for about 25 kilometres before turning onto the Eyre Highway and pushed our way into a slightly reduced breeze passed Iron Knob, then on to Kimba, Koongawa and Kyancutta before stopping once more, this time for lunch on the side of the road. Once back on the road again we made our way through Wudinna, Yaninee, Poldinna, Minipa, Condada, Poochera, Capietha, Cungena, Wirrulla and arrived in Ceduna, some 781 kilometres drive for the day, at about 3:30p.m.

We first called in to the Coles Shell service station and refilled the Patrol with lots of diesel, then found our way to the 'Airport Caravan Park' where we booked in at a drive through powered site for the night at a cost of $15. The wind was still blowing reasonably strongly, with the caravan rocking in the breeze quite regularly and as there is a water shortage, there was a fair bit of dust flying around the area.

The rest of the afternoon was spent inside the caravan and although our drive tomorrow should be under 500 kilometres, we still intend to get a good nights sleep and a reasonable start in the morning, although hopefully not just after 5:a.m. like this morning....

Not much growing in this paddock
Port Augusta -Not much growing in this paddock

Parked up after a 781 kilometre drive
Parked up after a 781 kilometre drive


Previous Page